Our Joy

Wedded Bliss

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Its Good to Have Records

Recently I have been doing a lot of thinking about records, genealogy, etc.

I had always loved having a journal, ever since I was little. My mom would always buy me these cute little journals when she got a new journal, so it was something we kind of did together. She was always a good example of journaling. She had what she called a Gratitude Journal, which is kind of self explanatory, but she wrote the things that she is grateful for, or that had made an impression on her that day. So she has multiple records of things, which I am thankful for, because she will be able to show them to the kids in our family, so they will know what she was like before they could remember, or before they were born.
My mom also has boxes and boxes of photos, which my sisters and I like to go through every once in a while. Its fun to remember those funny things we did. I don't think they have gone through them yet, but when they do the kids will love the hair, especially Erin's...the hair and the earrings in all their glory from the 80's. :)
Cody has kept a journal as well. Also he kept all of the emails, letters, pictures and his journal from his mission. Cody also gave me his tags when we got engaged, so now I have them. But I am working on putting everything into a book for him, but who knows how long that will take.
So I have been able to get to know him all over again, and its been a lot of fun. I know how Cody was as a teenager, on his mission, some things from after, and the passed 2+ years we have been together. ( I realized on Sunday that this passed Mother's Day was my 3rd in the Fitts home, crazy!). Cody is pretty much the same, minus the rap music he used to love in high school. His goals are similar, his focus is similar, and the things that are important to him have always been the same, which I am thankful for, he is such an example to me. :)
Cody has also been entertained by my old journals. He leaves them alone most of the time, unless I share them with him. I mean, I guess he should be able to read them any time, we don't do secrets, but its weird to just read through someone else's things. So he has heard all of the things from when I was a teen, and even before. And he usually just says, "Yep, that sounds just like you." or "You would say that..." Or "Wow, you have dealt with a lot". Its rather funny and its a great way to dig a little deeper.
These things mean a lot to me. I love being able to look back and see that we are the people we have always been. Our values are completely the same, and in some ways the bar has been raised (which I guess it should). I am also glad that one day when we have kids and grand kids, they will be able to have all of this stuff. They will be able to get to know us, and they will learn from the experiences we had. I always loved hearing stories, and now I just wish I knew more, now that my grandparents are gone.
But the apostles are inspired, and they tell us too, that it is important to keep record. And also, this is what inspired me to do a blog way back when. I don't care who reads it (we have found out that there are more of you than we thought, hehe), but if you do...thank you!
These are just some of my favorites that I have found in Cody's things.

My cute little skinny Cody. He didn't look much different than this when we met.
This was a crazy story to read. This is the scorpion that stung Cody's hand one day.

He tells me about these all the time. When he thinks of butchers, or butcher shops, this is what he thinks of. Pretty sick.

He still has this tie, and he still wears it. It will be fun to pass on to our future missionaries one day.

Goofy Cody. He loved everyone he served with, and we have seen some of them randomly. Its always nice when I can place a face with the names. His favorite comp married a girl named Kylie too. :)
Well, if you need a good laugh, maybe you should go through your old things. Laughing is almost a guarantee. :)

No comments: